Thursday, October 8, 2009

Higher than a kite

Literally...I am on an airplane somewhere between DFW and ELP.  Internet on airplanes is long overdue, and under-rated.  I love it.  It has been ages since I've had the courage to write on here, but I'm hoping that this will be the catalyst to writing new posts.

News flash....in case you weren't aware....I will be a new daddy in about three weeks!  Cannot wait to hold Ella Grace in my arms.  There will be many pictures posted.  It has been an incredible journey for the last 9 months...

I was thinking the other day, about different activities that I am involved in and things I do.  It occured to me a while back that I have a desire to be the best at something.  I want to be the best "something" that my friends know...I play golf a lot and I really enjoy it, but I am not the best golfer in my group.  I play raquetball with guys from work and rarely beat them.  I play music but I would hardly consider myself the best musician among people I know.  I graphically design things and see them come to life in various forms, but I am definitely not the best at this.  I don't know why I've been going over this in my head lately...but nonetheless I have.  I don't know if it is simply a human desire or something with some spiritual weight behind it, this striving to be the best.  I was driving the other day and going over all of this for about the millionth time in my head when I stopped and had a realization.

I will probably never be the best golfer, artist, musician, whatever....but I realized I have the opportunity to be the best at a few things.

I have the opportunity to be the best husband that Emily will ever have....
I have the opportunity to be the best father that Ella will ever have...
I have the opportunity to be the best sibling that my brother and sister have...
I have the opportunity to be the best oldest son that my parents have...

and the list could go on.  I think what I realized is that, as I have written about before, life is all about perspective.  We get the choice with every passing moment as to how we will look at our life.  Your perspective will dictate how you respond and react to your circumstances.   Narrow perspective leads to ultra-emotional, and sometimes irrational responses.  Broad, big picture perspective makes obstacles appear smaller, appear defeatable. 

I need to adjust my perspective daily to reflect God's big picture and realize that in my vapor of an existence I can be the best...I just have to choose to pursue it. 

Peace

1 comment:

Clint Lovelace said...

Brandon, that is one awesome post dude! You got it so right and Ella is going to be one lucky girl to have you as a Dad and grow her up in the Lord's way!